1. What does being a feminist mean to you?
Being unabashedly and unapologetically joyful. Happiness is political when you’re a woman.
2. In 2022, is it still necessary to “empower” women?
Women don’t need to be empowered, they’re already powerful. Women could literally put an end to the human race by refusing to mother and yet we treat them as if they are second class citizens. Women don’t need to change, the world does.
3. Who are the female role models in your life?
The strongest women in my life are women with disabilities. They put up with so much crap from non-disabled people and kick ass by simply existing everyday in a sexist ableist society. The executive producer for my doc Sid Marcos.
4. Is there anything you wish women would do differently?
I wish we stopped apologizing for apologizing!
5. How can we better support each other as women?
The strongest support I feel is from the women in my life. When patriarchy makes very little room at the top for us, it creates a competitive environment but EVEN despite that toxicity, women manage to elevate and amplify each other. It’s incredible.
6. How can we invite men and non-binary people to the table, to be our allies?
By making the feminist movement completely gender-neutral we don’t leave anyone out. Gender equality frees everybody and we need to do a better job of talking about it. No matter where you are in your journey you should feel welcome. Feminism should be a bloc party, not a speakeasy.